Does Qatar Airways Permit Unaccompanied Minors on Flights?
Planning for your child’s alone air travel with Qatar Airways? Well, for concerned parents or guardians like you, the Qatar Airways Unaccompanied minor policy is in place. The airline makes sure that your kids feel safe and enjoy their journey alone, no matter if it’s their first or if they have flown many times. Once your child is traveling under this policy, the airline will receive your child at the airport, take care of him while onboard, and then hand him over to the designated person on arrival. You can avail of this service by purchasing an adult fare for your child. But there are still many things that you need to know. Let’s rundown each and everything and gets the best possible service for your child onboard.
How old do you have to be to fly Qatar Airways?
If you are a legal adult, there is no age limit for you to travel. However, for children or minors traveling alone, there is a Qatar Airways unaccompanied minor age requirement. If you follow this properly, you can send your child without trouble.
- As per the UNMR policy of Qatar Airways, children between 5 and 15 can travel with an Escort service for traveling alone. Here are the details about age requirements:
- Children below the age of 5 can not travel unless there is a parent or adult who is at least 16 years old.
- Anyone in their 16th year can not travel as an unaccompanied minor.
So, if your child falls under this category, you can easily send them to travel alone. However, there are still some rules and regulations that you must follow. Let’s have a look!
What is Qatar Airways Requirement for Unaccompanied Minor Travel?
When you are sending your child between ages 5 and 15 to travel with Qatar Airways, there are certain requirements that you may look over. Read on to know the details:
- Qatar Airways requires you to take approval in advance before you send your child to travel alone.
- The minimum time is at least 48 hours before departure in case your child is traveling alone as a minor under unaccompanied minor service.
- For escort service, you must take approvals at least 72 hours before the air travel.
- This service booking is only available at the local booking office by Qatar Airways and is not available online.
- For any child who has special requirements or a disability, you must inform the airline in advance. This may help them to make pre-arrangements.
Note that anyone of age 16 or older can freely travel as an adult with an adult fare and no escort service or transfer assistance. This applies even in the case of flight delays.
What is Escort Service on Qatar Airways?
Qatar Airways offers unaccompanied children another service called Escort Service, where alone traveling children get a dedicated representative. This person accompanies the child throughout the journey. If you want to request this service for your child, you can try to contact Qatar Airways at least 72 hours prior to the departure of the flight.
Who is Eligible for the Qatar Airways Escort Service?
There is a certain criterion for the Qatar Airways unaccompanied minor and escort service. If one wishes to purchase, here are the basic requirements:
- The Qatar Airways travel requirements for escort service state that a child must be at least 5 up to 15 to travel alone with this option.
- The flight booking must be only under Qatar Airways-operated services.
Also, note that this service requires you to pay for the return ticket of the company employee who is responsible for your child’s escort throughout the journey.
Which Documents are needed for Unaccompanied Minors?
When your child is traveling alone, you need to provide Documents Needed for Unaccompanied minors on Qatar Airways. The airline provides you with the document list when you are booking the flight tickets. Let’s take a closer look:
- Passport with at least 6 months validity
- A Valid Visa
- Permit for Re-entry
- Health-related documents
- Any other requirements based on the destination
After you have these documents, make sure to provide an unaccompanied minor detail form that lists the drop-off and pick-up person's name and a consent form signed by his/her parents/guardian.
Do I need to Fill up an Unaccompanied Minor form on Qatar Airways?
Yes, you must fill up the Qatar Airways unaccompanied minors request for carriage form before you decide to send them to travel alone. This form includes the following:
- The full name of the Minor
- Age, Sex, Family Name
- Special Instructions or Diet
- Permanent Address with Phone
- Languages he Speaks
- Details of the booked flight
- Person who is seeing him off on departure(full details)
- Details of person meeting on Arrival
- Declaration with Signature by Parent/guardian/person responsible.
You need to submit this form along with the documents at check-in for unaccompanied minors on Qatar Airways flight booking. Besides all these, you also need some additional information.
What Do You Need to know for Unaccompanied Minor drop-off on Qatar Airways Flights?
If your child is traveling as an unaccompanied minor, you need to take account of all the details, such as the full baggage allowance for their travel class. Also, gather all the documents meant for their travel. These things come before the flight, and you need to carefully consider them all. Now comes the departure airport instructions:
- For check-in, make sure your child’s check-in completes in your presence, or their guardian, or a responsible adult at least 16 years old.
- The airline’s representative will escort your child through immigration and security.
- Make sure to be at the airport until the departure of your child’s flight.
- From the boarding gate to the flight, it’s the responsibility of Qatar Airways staff members to let them be seated.
- While your child is on the flight, the Qatar Airways crew will check up on him frequently.
- Teach your child to ask the flight attendant for assistance in any case.
After dropping off, you can inform the person responsible for his pick up about the departure and let them be prepared.
What are Pick-Up Instructions for Qatar Airways Unaccompanied Minor Travel?
Now, when it’s time for the unaccompanied minor’s flight to arrive, the parent or designated adult must arrive at the airport before time. They should present a valid ID proof and receive the child at the gate. The airline staff will escort the child through the gate to the pick-up person. The unaccompanied minor fee on Qatar Airways is similar to an adult fare, so make sure to pay the whole before confirming, or else you will lose the booking. Besides, Qatar Airways works on The More the Merrier benefit plans. In other words, you can even use Avios to book a flight for your alone children on Qatar Airways. For more details on this topic, connect to an airline representative.